Are you looking for the best tools to grow as a freelance writer? If you level up your writing, project management, and business process, you will be able to grow your freelance writing business and increase your revenue. In this post, I will share the best tools for freelance writers.
In addition to offering content writing services, I earn a commission if you decide to pay for some of the following writing, business, and project management tools. Since I know the benefits these tools have to offer for freelance writers, I proudly recommend them.
The following tools will help you improve your writing and the content you send clients.
- Grammarly – Online writing assistant that will check grammar, spelling, punctuation, style, tone, formality, and plagiarism. Free and paid plans available.
- Hemingway – Free online editor that improves the readability of your writing.
- ProWritingAid – Offers online editing as you write as well as 20 reports on your writing style, overused words, cliches, alliterations, and more. Plans start at $20 per month.
Document and File Sharing Tools
Do you need to send content to clients? The following are the most used document and file sharing tools used by clients and freelancers.
- Google Docs – Create documents and share them with clients for editing and feedback. Write on your desktop or on the smartphone app.
- Google Drive – Share images and other files with clients. Up to 15GB of storage for free. Plans start at $1.99 per month for 100GB of storage (including your Google Docs files, Gmail, etc.).
- Dropbox – Share images and other files with clients. Plans start at $9.99 per month for up to 2TB of storage.
You don’t have to be a designer to add high quality images with your content. Create blog post headers, reports, presentations, social media ads, and more with the following tools.
- Canva – Graphic design tool for non-designers. Plenty of customizable templates to choose from under their free plan. Create on your desktop or on the smartphone app.
- PicMonkey – Create graphics and edit photos. Plans start at $7.99 per month.
As a freelance writer, you are your own office manager, billing department, marketing department, etc. The following business tools will help you better manage the inner workings of your business.
- Invoicely – Invoicing app used by 250,000 small businesses. Free and paid plans starting at $9.99 per month.
- Raven Tools – This marketing platform helps small businesses with keyword research, site audits, link building, social media, and marketing reports. Plans start at $49.99 after a free 7-day trial.
- Semrush – This platform has over 50 tools for SEO, content marketing, competitor research, PPC and social media marketing. Plans start at $119.95 per month after a free trial.
Project Management Tools
Staying organized is the foundation to a successful freelance business. As a freelancer, you will work with a lot of project management systems, based on your client’s preference. Get to know them and organize your own tasks to ensure you meet due dates.
- Trello – Project management system that allows you to organize projects using lists, cards, and task lists. Free for individuals and teams who want to be more productive. Premium features start at $10 per month.
- Asana – Similar to Trello, but offers more views of your projects and tasks. Free for individuals and teams getting started with project management. Premium features start at $10.99 per month.
Do you need to upgrade your freelance website and online portfolio? Here are the services I use to run this website.
- WordPress – With 44% of the entire internet powered by WordPress, it is the #1 content management system
- GoDaddy – With headquarters in Scottsdale, AZ, GoDaddy handles my domain name, WordPress hosting, and business email.
- Breakthrough – StudioPress has dozens of themes to choose from starting at $79.95.
By choosing WordPress, you get access to thousands of free and premium themes and plugins for custom functionality. In addition to the pages about your services, samples, and testimonials, you can add job boards, forums, and other features to help grow your business.
Want to take a break from work? These iPhone and Android apps can help you unwind while simultaneously keeping your word game sharp!
- Wordscapes – A modern version of word search and crosswords combined.
- Words with Friends – The world’s most popular social word game.
- CodyCross – A cute crossword puzzle game.